Monday, January 4, 2010

Umbrella

I delivered newspaper in Port Carbon. I was on the third street. It's called Shantytown. I had one address: Austin Drive. What is Austin Drive doing in Port Carbon? I was looking for the street, I asked people, I even stopped at Borrow Hall. It was somewhere there. I came back to look for an address. It was raining hard and I was third time on 3rd street. There was a confederate flag hanging on the garage. So I new I was close. I stepped out of the car, planning to go on foot, I opened my beautiful, expensive umbrella, with the white clouds on the blue sky. Suddenly the wind blew, turned upside down the umbrella and broke it - and it stopped blowing. It still rained, but there was stillness in the air. I wrote down the address wasn't in my area - and left. My supervisor found the house later. She said: it's kind of spooky there. Copyright (c) Marie Neumann Port Carbon, 2/2/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment