Monday, April 9, 2012

New bull 2

"I can not wait, when they will join a new herd with a new bull. They are only trouble." "Did they get him?" "A farmer left this morning for an auction. He wants a Holstein bull. It looks like he is bringing one." "Stracena would like to have a black and white calf." "Nonsense. She will accept what is available and she will be happy with it."
Night dew and coyotes cries woke up both heifers. "I have a headache." "I am thirsty." All herd sleeps when they walk to the water hole. They take a long drink. Malena throws up. "I feel sick." "Lie down." "I am sick even when I lie down. We shouldn't eat it." "I have had beautiful dreams after eating that grass." "What kind dreams?" "I was singing in opera. You didn't have any?" "I did. I had a calf. It was black and white, and it was a little bull. I have showed him the grass we ate and told him he can not touch it. He listened. He was the good, little bull." And after a while: "Do you feel better?" "A little bit. Lets sleep."
All the herd sleeps. The coyotes cry not far away and a cowboy on a horse is circling the herd. Both heifers are dreaming about a new bull.
Those were the last carefree days of Malena and Stracena for long time. The farmer didn't bring a new bull from the auction.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment