Monday, January 3, 2011

Magic of Christmas

Walking to the Church for midnight mass dressed in many layers, because there is no heating in the church. Lada's pictures of carolers all bundled up in white snow. Two pairs of earrings one Christmas. Big family gathering at Barans's and we are invited. Our daughter is dressed like a doll. Crystal glasses, bike and sewing machine under the tree. My sisters throwing their shoes over their left shoulder. It worked. They didn't become spinsters. One Christmas Eve we played with its magic. We let birthday candles float in walnut shells. All but one stayed together. I gave a searching look to my children: which of you will go? Next year I left for seven long years. I am not playing with Christmas magic anymore. I don't want to know. Copyright (c) Marie Neumann Pottsville, 12 27/2010 POW! assignment

No comments:

Post a Comment