Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Marie

Some call me Maria.
Don't call me Maria.
I am Mary.
Don't call me Mary,
call me Marie.
It is the same name
like Marietta, or Miriam.
Somebody wrote a book:
"Marietta in the night"
I remember a title,
but forgot,
what it was about.
They called me Marushka,
when I was young.
When I grew up
I became Marush.
For my Slovak pen pal
I was Marienka.
In German I am Mariechen.
In Russia Marusia,
or Masha for short.
In South Bohemia
I was called Maika,
the same like one bug,
I know how it looks like.
My fifth grade teacher
liked to call me Maruna.
For my seventh grade teacher
I was Mara.
I became Marianka in Prag.
My boss called me Marzenka,
when he brough homemade
venison goulash.
My hungarian friend
is Marika
and we write
our name the same.
I became Marzena,
when I wasn't nice.
I went by many names
and turn my head
to all of them.
Just don't call me Marzena.
Marzena is bad news,
when she comes home drunk.

Copyright (c) Marie Neumann
Pottsville, June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment