Saturday, May 28, 2011

Polar bears - Diving2

Northern had a chance to watch Olympic games on TV. So today they tried more scientific approach. Northern said: "Some time ago I tried a forward dive. I didn't concentrate and ended on my belly. It knocked out my breath, after that I didn't dive for a while."
Here are the rules:
1. Find out how deep is a pool.
2. Never let your hands pull apart or to the side on any headfirst dive.
3. Do not turn your head to the side.
4. Learn exhale from the nostrils when diving feet first. This will prevent water rushing up into the nose.
5. Don't dive before I will get out of the pool, or you will break my back if you will end up on the top of me.
6. Raise your arms completely straight above your head, arms pressing against your ears.
7. Bend at waist. Never bend your knees.
8. Look for the spot on the bottom where you want to lend, when your front paws strike the water. Do not do anything with your tail. It will follow.*
The bears had enough of theory and went to dive. They tried forward dives, backward dives and reverse dives; inward dives, twisting dives, armstand dives, when a diver balances on end of platform in a handstand, then performs a dive from that position.
Then they went for more fun like a swan dive with arms swinging. They tried back dives, but didn't like them much (I don't want to knock my head against something I do not see) and didn't go for somersault dives, because: we are not so advanced yet.
They tried a pike though. By the end of the day they were exhausted. "I think we did to much diving for today." Said Standa and they went just to lie down in the warming evening sun.

* Theory I borrowed from: Dr. Sammy Lee with Steve Lehrman. Diving. New York: Atheneum, 1979. 150 p.

Copyright (c) Marie Neumann
Pottsville, Fall 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment